08/04/2017

The Sunshine Blogger Award - The Strayling


The Sunshine Blogger Award - The Strayling

What a Saturday: the wonderful Emilia On The Road nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Thanks a million Emilia, it was exactly the spark of sunlight I needed to see in this pile of assignments, dissertation interviews and graduation chaos. Writing a blog always makes the work feel all the more meaningful when you know it's appreciated!

Here are Emilia's questions for the award:

1) What is the first thing you usually start missing from home after having been gone for a long time?
- I'm not good at missing things. I know I'm expected to cry over the lack of all those stereotypical Finnish emblems like salty liquorice, sauna and good vodka, but hear me when I say I need none of that. But there's one thing... I miss cardamom. Yes, I know:"What?" Finnish people love to shove that stuff all over their bakings, and it's available in every store, crushed, in these nice, easy-to-use long tubes. But not elsewhere. The rest of the world wants their cardamom from sketchy ethnic kiosks as entire pods you have to tear open one by one with your tiny little fingers and crush the contents with a knife.

2) What languages can you speak and are you brave enough to use them all?
- On paper I speak six languages: Finnish (my mother tongue), English, Russian, French, Swedish and German. I also took a beginner's course in Mandarin Chinese so I'm able to understand basic phrases and characters, and two courses of Irish Gaelic of which I now have passive knowledge. In practice I can get by with all of them as a tourist, asking for directions and whatnot, but when talking about anything more complicated I rely on my big four: Finnish, English, Russian and French. Russian is my favourite one of them - wait, do people usually have favourite languages or am I just being weird again?

3) What has been the most potentially dangerous situation you've ended up in on a trip?
- Whoah! Had to think of this for a while - I've stayed incredibly safe during my travels. I guess losing a passport in Moscow was a bit of a drag, but the only even slightly threatening situation happened in Paris while I was waiting for the tube with Alex. A teenage boy tried to forcefully kiss me while I was boarding the train and then proceeded to push Alex - too bad the kiddo was so tiny I didn't even notice and the only reaction he got out of Alex was a confused raised eyebrow. Still makes me laugh.

4) What is your preferred way of travelling - planes, trains or automobiles :)?
- To be frank, I hate flying nowadays. I honestly have no idea what happened, I've been on a plane 28 times during the last three years - I guess it was too much for my poor anxious soul and now boarding a plane is just a pain in the ass. Trains for the win!

5) What are your travel plans for the ongoing year?
- We're absolutely totally broke right now (thank you, Dublin's rental market), but are planning on spending a few days in Faro, Portugal after the semester is wrapped up. I really, really want to get out of Europe for a bigger trip maybe at the end of the summer when my master's thesis stops acting like a stone in my shoe, but have no one to travel with.

6) Do you prefer staying at hotels or hostels, private rooms or dorms, or is it couch surfing or house sitting all the way for you?
- I'm a cheap-ass traveller. I don't even remember how it feels like to stay in a hotel - snoring, weird smells, people screaming their lungs out behind your dorm door, beach party 24/7 - it's all I know. I always find the cheapest possible hostel and hope to stay alive through the stay. I've seen some weird shit by now....

7) What places or countries would you recommend to a nature lover?
- There might be some slight bias happening here after living in Canada, but... I mean, Canada. All of it. Everyone should visit Banff National Park at least once in their lives because believe me, that place leaves you in awe. Let's try this out: Google Image search "Canada". That photo you see? That's Banff for you. Go!

8) Top 3 - Countries with the Best Food
- You probably expect me to say "Italy" but I refuse. French cuisine is a blast especially if you want to explore the fascinating world of intestines. Personally I absolutely ADORE Russian food, I could live off pelmenis (dumpling-like dough pockets filled with meat or potatoes/mushrooms and served with sour cream). The last one... I say Mexico. Spice is life.

9) What part of being a travel blogger do you love the most?
- All of it! Writing is my passion, editing is my calling, coding is my secret lover. Having the chance to share your thoughts and experiences with other likeminded people is just the best thing ever. It also offers me the perfect counterbalance to my otherwise overly serious, academic life where everything is terror, death, international human rights law, torture and conflict resolution. On those days when my morning starts with a 2-hour lecture about sexual violence as a weapon of war it feels good to come home afterwards, sit down with my computer and a cup of tea, and just talk about some random fluffy happygolucky travel adventures.

10) Are you interested in getting to know new people when you travel or do you prefer to keep to yourself?
- I'm an extrovert in a closet so yes, I absolutely love meeting new people. People might not always be as excited to meet me because I can be cringy, but that doesn't stop me from trying to know everyone! There was this one time only when I attempted to stay away from my dorm mates in Marseille - two Finnish girls had been checking out my boyfriend out loud right in front of my face, completely oblivious I understood every word.

Now for my nominations!

The Sunshine Blogger Award is an award from bloggers to bloggers - in other words, it's a way for us to spread our love for the inspiring blogs that we have discovered and to show our support to the blogging community.

So here's the deal. If you've been nominated, you'll need to...

1) Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog
2) Answer the questions you got from the person who nominated you
3) Nominate other blogs and give them questions to answer
4) Notify your nominees through social media or by commenting on their blog
5) List the rules and display a Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post

I'm nominating the following wonderful, talented bloggers:
The Sunshine Blogger Award1. Dignifiable
2. Moore Misadventures
3. A Lovely Life, Indeed
4. Meo

Here are my questions for you:
1. Do you prefer to travel alone or with someone? Why?
2. How much in advance do you plan your trips?
3. Have you ever visited a place you were really looking forward to, but then ended up disappointed in it?
4. Is there that one thing you can't travel without?
5. Have you ever met someone unforgettable while travelling?
6. How many countries have you visited so far?
7. Do you attempt to meet locals while travelling or do you prefer to stay by yourself/other travellers?
8. What motivates you to write a blog?
9. What is your favourite place/country you have visited? Why?
10. Share a memorable travel story with me!


 Feel free to copy and answer the questions. Let me know if you do, I'd love to read them! Have a lovely weekend everyone!

Love, Melissa

Follow me!
Share this PostPin ThisEmail This

4 comments:

  1. Loved your answers :)! It was quite possibly even more fun to read your post than write my own one! Glad to find another cheapskate when it comes to accommodation ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emilia! :) The questions were really good so it was a lot of fun to come up with answers. Cheap travel's the best kinda travel. ;) Every day is an adventure when you stay in the sketchiest place around... We stayed in this really weird hotel obviously designed for spontaneous one night stands in Barcelona: the room had paintings of naked women all over and there was a mirror IN THE CEILING above the bed. :D

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize you nominated me until just now.. I'm not so technologically inclined apparently. Thanks for the kind words and having me join in the fun! Also, I'm very impressed with your ability to speak so many languages- I'm no expert on the topic, but I feel like Russian and Mandrin are some of the toughest to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I tried to find a way to tag you in my Facebook post back in the day, but couldn't figure any. And thanks a lot, Russian can be a hard bite to swallow at first but once you get the hang of it, the rest comes quite naturally. :)

      Delete